Thursday, October 15, 2009

Prep

After taking a break from Lovely Bones, I started a new book called Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld to begin our women author unit. I don't really know if I like it yet because it started out extremely chilche about a new girl arriving to a new school, so I have yet to see if I will stick with it.
The book begins getting right into school and the "new girl" scene where Lee Fiora is in the middle of Ancient History and misread the topic she had, doing the same exact one as the presentation before her. She ends up stuttering, choking up, and running in the bathroom to cry only to find Gates Medkowski-a prefect in school aka, the most popular and prettiest girls in school. However, Sittenfeld did not characterize her as the popular mean girl, but the popular NICE girl. Not entirely what you expect at Ault private school. After her incident, Lee arrives back at her dorm to find her roommate Dede, who comes across as the stuck up, preppy type. Dede has her money stolen, and alerts her whole dorm level to confess who found it. Gates who is also in their dorm asks "If somebody can keep their pubic hair out of the sink, that would be thoughtful", which was completely uncalled for.
Lee soon discovers Little Washington, probably the only black girl that went to Ault. Lee found her to start becoming her friend. (At first, Lee did not even want to go to this school, but because she was academically gifted, her parents made her). For the rest of what I've read, her and Little talk about their lives, and how Little and Gates play varsity basketball. Then going to the bathroom, Lee finds that it's Little head hairs that are in the sink and she feels really embarrased.
I feel like I just wrote a bunch of nothing. I pretty much have no idea what is going on, or where this story is going. But if it doesn't show a plot by the next couple of pages, I'll probably end up switching books. I need an interesting read for me to enjoy reading..

3 comments:

  1. Even though you may not be enjoying the book the blog was well done. If you are looking for some help in choosing a book that will interest you more you can see either me or Mrs. O'driscoll.

    Ms.Q

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember to blog every Wednesday.

    Ms.Q

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the blog is fine. The detail about the hairs in the sink are pretty telling...keep on going!

    ReplyDelete